- NTDs thrive under conditions of poverty, poor sanitation, unsafe water, and malnutrition
- NTDs can blind, deform, and debilitate their victims
- NTDs compromise mental and physical development, reduce school enrollment, and hinder economic productivity
- Preventing NTDs attacks a root cause of poverty that affects a significant proportion of the world’s population
- Safe and effective drugs are now available to prevent the most common NTDs
About the NTD Program
USAID is a global leader in the large-scale implementation of integrated treatment programs for NTDs, focusing on mass drug administration to target the control and/or elimination of the diseases.
Learn more ▶
Latest NewsGo to Newsroom
The Continuing Threat of Neglected Tropical Diseases
USAID’s Assistant Administrator for Global Health, Ariel Pablos-Méndez, gives testimony before the Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations.Read More
Ending the 'Neglect' in Neglected Tropical Diseases
For almost a decade, USAID has supported the delivery of preventive drug treatments for neglected tropical diseases–also known as NTDs–to millions of people, working with programs around the globe.Read More
Helen Keller International Awarded Major Grant by USAID to Tackle Neglected Tropical Diseases in Africa
HKI has been awarded a $35-million grant from USAID to lead a five-year project aimed at managing and preventing the related disability and disfigurement of blinding trachoma and lymphatic filariasis.Read More
One Billion and Counting
Accelerating Action to Eliminate NTDs by 2020
Learn more about the One Billion and Counting campaign highlighting the success of USAID’s NTD program as we support the delivery of the ONE BILLIONTH treatment in 2014.
Uniting to Combat NTDs: 2020 Goals
Uniting efforts with NTD-endemic countries, partners pledged to bring a unique focus to defeating these diseases and to work together to improve the lives of the 1.4 billion people worldwide affected by NTDs.
USAID collaborates with a wide range of partners to implement the NTD Program.